The Friends of the Arapahoe Library District accept donations of gently used books, DVDs, CDs, and other media to be sold in the Friends used book stores and sales. Revenues generated from the sale of used books help support Library District programs and projects, like the annual Summer Reading Program.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kinds of donations will you accept?
- Gently used books of all sorts – hardback fiction and nonfiction, paperbacks in good condition, and children’s books
- VHS tapes, DVDs and CDs
- Recently published magazines – no older than 6 months, please
- Textbooks without writing or highlighting
What cannot be accepted?
- Readers' Digest Condensed Books
- Reference books (travel books, medical books, etc) over 3 years old
- Any items previously owned by other libraries
- Cassette tapes
- Empty cases for CDs, DVDs, etc.
Why can't these items be used?
These items simply do not sell and must be discarded. The Library District has to pay for recycling and that doesn't seem like a good use of taxpayer dollars.
Is my donation tax deductible?
It is! Library staff will sign and date a receipt. You, however, must determine the value of the donation.
Where can I drop off my donations?
You may bring your donations to Koelbel, Smoky Hill or the Eloise May Library. Each of these libraries has a back door where staff receive donations between 8am and 5pm Monday through Saturday.
Storage limitations at Castlewood and Southglenn Libraries make it hard for us to receive donations at these locations. Donations should be boxed, not bagged. Bags may rip and damage books or, worse, hurt a volunteer.
If I have a large donation, will you pick it up for me?
Donation pick-up is coordinated through the Friends Office. Please contact the Friends Office at 303-792-8951 to inquire about donation pick-ups of 10 boxes or more.