Most people hope to be able to stay in their own home as they age and I wish that for everyone. However, life circumstances can sometimes require that we look at other options. I have written a list of the various housing options for seniors in Arapahoe County. I've also included a brief description of these options to help clarify what you might need to look for.
- Age at home with help: Arapahoe County has Chore Services and Homemaker Services to help people who want to stay in their home but might need a little help. Volunteers come to your home and help with light chores such as laundry. Here is the link to the county site: http://www.co.arapahoe.co.us/index.aspx?NID=348
- Senior living or retirement community: A community can range from modest cottages and apartment that target seniors to massive complexes with all the amenities. This is an area of huge growth for many communities as baby boomers age and scales down their living situations while remaining self sufficient.
- Assisted Living: In an assisted living situation, residents have their own apartment with a small kitchen. Though you only need to cook if you want to as communal meals are provided. There is a great deal of freedom and independence accompanied by frequent check-ins with staff and entertainment opportunities. Typically these communities allow people with walkers and some assistive devices but they must be able to get around independently
- Skilled Nursing: These communities are for people who are no longer able to independently care for themselves and who need access to nursing care.
- Dementia Care: These communities are for people with dementia who are unable to be safe in their home with their families.
For further information feel free to pick up a copy of the Seniors BlueBook or the Colorado Senior Resource Guide, just ask at the front desk of any Arapahoe Library and staff should be able to get a copy to you. As always, if you want to talk to someone please Book a Librarian session with one of the Senior Services Librarians! We love to visit with our patrons.