There are many options for senior housing and making the right choice for you and your family can be overwhelming.
The Housing Options Booklet from eldercare.gov suggests you start by answering the following questions:
- What kind of lifestyle do I want? What will my living conditions be like?
- How important is my choice of location? How close would I like to be to family and friends, doctors, pharmacies, other medical facilities, shopping, senior centers, religious facilities, and other amenities?
- Does my current health status require that I look for features that will help me move about more comfortably?
- How much will the housing option cost?
- What, if any, in home support services will I receive for my money?
- Am I eligible for any publicly funded or subsidized services, such as Medicare or Medicaid?
- What in home support services are available now, and in the future, to meet my health and social needs?
- Have I involved family members and friends in my decision making, as appropriate?
- What role will others have in making these decisions?
- Would it be advisable for me to talk with an attorney so that I understand my rights and any legal concerns?
It's never too early to start planning for the future. For more information check out the Housing Options Booklet and the resources below!
- Eldercare Locator: (800) 677-1116. The Eldercare Locator is a free service from the U.S. Administration on Aging.
- Arapahoe County Housing Assistance Program (303) 738-8040.
- Where you Live Matters and Long-term Planning aid from longtermcare.gov.
Book a Librarian for assistance in navigating local and national housing and long-term planning resources.