There are many options for senior housing, opens a new window and making the right choice for you and your family can be overwhelming.
The Housing Options Booklet, opens a new window from eldercare.gov suggests you start by answering the following questions:
- What kind of lifestyle do I want? What will my living conditions be like?
- How important is my choice of location? How close would I like to be to family and friends, doctors, pharmacies, other medical facilities, shopping, senior centers, religious facilities, and other amenities?
- Does my current health status require that I look for features that will help me move about more comfortably?
- How much will the housing option cost?
- What, if any, in home support services will I receive for my money?
- Am I eligible for any publicly funded or subsidized services, such as Medicare or Medicaid?
- What in home support services are available now, and in the future, to meet my health and social needs?
- Have I involved family members and friends in my decision making, as appropriate?
- What role will others have in making these decisions?
- Would it be advisable for me to talk with an attorney so that I understand my rights and any legal concerns?
It's never too early to start planning for the future.
- Eldercare Locator, opens a new window: (800) 677-1116. The Eldercare Locator is a free service from the U.S. Administration on Aging.
- Find and compare nursing homes with this Medicare site. You can also view the official safety ratings.
- Arapahoe County Housing Assistance Program, opens a new window (303) 738-8061.
- Long-term Planning aid from longtermcare.gov.
Ask a Librarian for assistance in navigating local and national housing and long-term planning resources.