"Back to the Future" Day
"Back to the Future" is a film made in 1985 starring Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd and Lea Thompson. It was directed by Robert Zemeckis and written by Zemeckis and Bob Gale. October 21 is "Back to the Future" Day because in the second film, "Back to the Future II", the main character, Marty, travels forward in time to October 21, 2015.
Fun Facts About the Movie
The Delorean almost wasn't the famous time travel machine.
- In the original script, the time travel machine was made out of an old refrigerator. Doc Brown was going to carry the thing around in the back of his truck. I think we can all agree that the Delorean is much cooler.
President Ronald Regan quoted "Back to the Future" in his State of the Union speech.
- In 1986, President Ronald Regan said, "Where we're going, we don't need roads," which is a famous line from the movie. It is also known that Regan turned down a role as a mayor in the third film.
Frodo makes a cameo.
- Well, kind of. Actor, Elijah Wood, who is known for playing the famous hobbit, was in "Back to the Future II" as a kid playing a video game. That's a pretty cool first acting credit.
Michael J. Fox wasn't the first choice for Marty McFly.
- Many well-known actors auditioned for the role of Marty McFly including John Cusak, Johnny Depp and Ralph Macchio. But none of them won the role. That coveted position went to Eric Stolz. However, Stolz quickly lost the role when he read too much into the seriousness of the film and didn't see the humor in it. Stolz later called it the "worst moment of [his] career".
"Back to the Future" is an Oscar nominated film.
- Not only did this movie turn Michael J. Fox's career upside down, but it was also nominated for three Oscars: Best Original Screenplay, Best Sound, and Best Original Song (The Power of Love). While it didn't win any of the coveted awards, it still made its mark on history.
Time Travel Recommendations
"Back to the Future" is a staple in the time-travel genre. If you're in the mood to leave this year and escape into something different, check out these suggestions from our staff. Within these four lists, there is something for everyone.
A list of movies that have time travel in them.
A list of adult fiction books that feature time travel.
A list of YA fiction books that feature time travel.
A list of middle grade books that feature time travel.