June is recognized as LGBTQ+ Pride Month. Pride Month serves as a time for members of the community to connect, have fun and show support for LGBTQ+ rights and to commemorate the anniversary of the Stonewall riots.
Denver celebrates Pride Month each year with PrideFest, which includes a two-day festival, a 5K and a parade down Colfax. The first Denver PrideFest occurred in 1976 and now draws hundreds of thousands of people annually, making it one of the top 10 pride events in the country.
Denver PrideFest 2018 will be held on Saturday and Sunday, June 16–17, with the Pride Parade taking place on Sunday, June 17 at 9:30 am. Look for us at the Pride Parade again this year with our Library on Wheels and enjoy these pictures from a past year's parade.
- Enjoy young adult books featuring characters who belong to the LGBTQ+ community: LGBTQ+ for Teens
- Do you love magical realms, spells gone wrong and fantastical retellings? Check out this list of LGBTQ+ fantasy reads for teens: Give Me Magic
- Take a look at these stories about queer/questioning, intersex and asexual individuals: A Is for Asexual!
- Watch award-winning LGBTQ+ films and documentaries with Kanopy.
- Celebrate! (with Pride) The musicians included in this list all identify as LGBGTQ+. Some address queer issues in their music, and others do not. All of these musicians, however, celebrate the LGBTQ+ community by being their authentically queer selves.