June is recognized as LGBTQ Pride Monthopens a new window. Pride Month serves as a time for members of the community to connect, have fun and show support for LGBTQI+ rights and to commemorate the anniversary of the Stonewall riots.
Denver celebrates Pride Month each year with PrideFestopens a new window, which includes a two-day festival, a 5K and a parade down Colfax. The first Denver PrideFest occurred in 1976opens a new window and now draws hundreds of thousands of people annually.
This will be the fourth year our Library on Wheels has put in an appearance at the Denver PrideFest parade.
- Looking for positive LGBTQI+ role models for kids? Find one with LGBTQI+ Books for Kids!
- Try these books with children who are exploring gender or have questions about friends and family: I See Me: Gender Identity
- Get the conversation started with even the youngest children with LGBTQI+ Picture Books.
- Find young adult books featuring LGBTQI+ characters with LGBTQI+ for Teens and Favorite LGBTQI+ Teen Reads.
- Do you love magical realms, spells gone wrong and fantastical retellings? Try Give Me Magic!
- Find a teen title focused on relationships with Trans Reads for Teens and LGBTQI+ Romance Titles for Teens.
- Take a look at these stories featuring queer/questioning, intersex and asexual individuals: A Is for Asexual!, 6 Books Featuring Intersex Characters and Gender Indentity: Stories from Life.
- Learn more about the LGBTQI+ movement and history with LGBTQI+ History and History, Activism and Gender.
- Discover even more LGBTQI+ characters with LGBTQI+ Graphic Novels.
- Watch LGBTQI+ films and documentariesopens a new window with Kanopy.
- Or check out of film with Authentic Actresses in Transgender Roles.
- Check out a DVD or Blu-ray with LGBTQI+ themes.
- Celebrate! (with Pride) The musicians included in this list all identify as LGBTQI+. Some address queer issues in their music, and others do not. All of these musicians, however, celebrate the LGBTQI+ community by being their authentically queer selves.