June is recognized as LGBTQ+ Pride Monthopens a new window. Pride Month serves as a time for members of the community to connect, have fun and show support for LGBTQ+ rights and to commemorate the anniversary of the Stonewall riots.
Denver celebrates Pride Month each year with PrideFestopens a new window, which includes a two-day festival, a 5K and a parade down Colfax. The first Denver PrideFest occurred in 1976opens a new window and now draws hundreds of thousands of people annually, making it one of the top 10 pride events in the countryopens a new window.
Denver PrideFest 2018 was held on Saturday and Sunday, June 16–17.Our Library on Wheels once again made an appearance in the parade that took place on Sunday, June 17. Enjoy these pictures from a past year's paradeopens a new window.
- Enjoy young adult books featuring characters who belong to the LGBTQ+ community: LGBTQ+ for Teens
- Do you love magical realms, spells gone wrong and fantastical retellings? Check out this list of LGBTQ+ fantasy reads for teens: Give Me Magic
- Take a look at these stories about queer/questioning, intersex and asexual individuals: A Is for Asexual!
- Watch award-winning LGBTQ+ films and documentariesopens a new window with Kanopy.
- Celebrate! (with Pride) The musicians included in this list all identify as LGBGTQ+. Some address queer issues in their music, and others do not. All of these musicians, however, celebrate the LGBTQ+ community by being their authentically queer selves.