June is recognized as LGBTQ Pride Monthopens a new window. Pride Month serves as a time for members of the community to connect, have fun and show support for LGBTQI+ rights and to commemorate the anniversary of the Stonewall riots.
Denver celebrates Pride Month each year with PrideFest, which usually includes a two-day festival, a 5K and a parade down Colfax. The PrideFest has changed to a virtual format this year to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Read more about the first Denver PrideFest in 1976opens a new window.
2019 was the fourth year our Library on Wheels put in an appearance at the Denver PrideFest parade.
- Looking for positive LGBTQI+ role models for kids? Find one with LGBTQI+ Books for Kids!
- Try these books with children who are exploring gender or have questions about friends and family: I See Me: Gender Identity
- Get the conversation started with even the youngest children with LGBTQI+ Picture Books.
- Find young adult books featuring LGBTQI+ characters with LGBTQI+ for Teens and Favorite LGBTQI+ Teen Reads.
- Do you love magical realms, spells gone wrong and fantastical retellings? Try Give Me Magic!
- Find a teen title focused on relationships with Trans Reads for Teens and LGBTQI+ Romance Titles for Teens.
- Take a look at these stories featuring queer/questioning, intersex and asexual individuals: A Is for Asexual!, 6 Books Featuring Intersex Characters and Gender Indentity: Stories from Life.
- Learn more about the LGBTQI+ movement and history with LGBTQI+ History and History, Activism and Gender.
- Discover even more LGBTQI+ characters with LGBTQI+ Graphic Novels.
- Watch LGBTQI+ films and documentariesopens a new window with Kanopy.
- Or check out of film with Authentic Actresses in Transgender Roles.
- Check out a DVD or Blu-ray with LGBTQI+ themes.
- Celebrate! (with Pride) The musicians included in this list all identify as LGBTQI+. Some address queer issues in their music, and others do not. All of these musicians, however, celebrate the LGBTQI+ community by being their authentically queer selves.