What is a hobbit?
Celebrate Hobbit Day
Have two breakfasts
- Hobbits have six meals a day, two of those are considered breakfast. Treat yo' self and enjoy some yummy breakfast food.
Have a Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit movie marathon
- There are over 550 minutes of film to watch. And that doesn't even include the new TV show on Amazon Prime, The Rings of Power.
- Click here to check out a full list of the movies.
Read any of the books in the Tolkien universe
- Most readers know about the Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit, but there are also some works that were published posthumously like The Silmarillion and The Book of Lost Tales, Part 1 and Part 2.
Plan a trip to New Zealand to see Hobbiton
- The Hobbiton Movie Set is in a town called Matamata in New Zealand. It was originally a sheep farm that has been transformed so you can now take a tour of the movie set and feel as though you are stepping into Middle-earth.
- Click here for a search of New Zealand travel books.
Step outside of your comfort zone
- Hobbits like Bilbo and Frodo are known for leaving their hometown and venturing off to unexpected and grand adventures. While your adventure doesn't have to be save-the-world level, we encourage you to step out of your comfort zone in some way or other. Read a different genre, cook something new or go somewhere you have never been before.
Fantasy for All Ages
Enjoy this list of books like The Hobbit so that you can grow your love of fantasy. All of these books are appropriate for middle grade children too, so you can share them with the next generation of readers.
These books are full of wonderful fantasy worlds.