It's the time of year when we show those we care about how much we appreciate them with gifts. In the spirit of the movement to give experiences rather than things, you can find lots of great gifts at the library. Here are a few to consider:
Gifts for a significant other
Plan a romantic night at home without spending a lot of money. How you say? Let the library help!
- Snuggle up to watch a movie (or stream one, opens a new window). Whether you're into romances, the latest TV shows or even disaster movies, you can find something to suit your tastes at the library. We provide the film, you provide the blanket!
- Remember that song you fell in love to, or that favorite concert you went to together? Relive it with music from the library. Check out a music CD, find a concert DVD or just stream some music to dance to. It's your call.
- Who wouldn't love a surprise, home-cooked meal? So grab a cookbook and some candles (possibly a fire extinguisher?) and get started! And if you're new to cooking, we've got you covered too!
Gifts for kids
The best gift you can give any child is the gift of your time.
- For younger kids you can create a fun storytime at home with a Storytime to Go Kit. Each kit includes books plus a learning toy or music CD to help you recreate all the joy of storytime without leaving the house.
- Older kids will enjoy spending time with you as they learn to use a Sphero robot and can even learn to write their own Sphero code.
- If all else fails, you can always stick to the basics and just read them a book. Try Books to Spark Conversations with Kids or Books to Read out Loud to Your Kids.
Gifts for teens
Teens are a tricky bunch to buy for, so why not give them a great library experience instead!
- Get your craft on with a DIY Crafts video, or explore the world of Creativebug for even more crafting videos.
- Bring them in to the Makerspace at Castlewood Library and get hands one with a variety of creative equipment.
- Work with your teen to learn how to create your own 3D print, or use Treehouse to learn coding skills together.
- Give your teen the gift of their next great read with these books recommended by librarians.
Gifts for family
Have a family member who's impossible to buy for? Don't spend money on something they don't want, instead give them a gift that lets them know how much you value them.
- Master the art of high altitude baking to wow your family with perfectly crafted breads, cookies and cakes.
- Discovery your family history with help from the library's genealogy resources, then share it with your loved ones.
- Preserve family memories using a digital media station to convert old movies or pictures to a digital format.
- Have a memorable family adventure at a local museum or attraction for free with an Exploration Pass.
Gifts for anyone
Need a gift for a neighbor, teacher or other VIP in your life? Let the library help.
- Meet up virtually or in-person with friends for an event at the library to experience a guest speaker or author, learn a new craft or more.
- Find the perfect gently used book for that special someone.
- Let them treat themselves whenever they like with a gift card for the cafe at Koelbel or Smoky Hill libraries.
Gifts for someone with a memory issue
The library even has resources for when you visit someone with dementia.
- Check out a Care Giver Kit for activities you and your loved one can enjoy together.
- Discover activities for adults with care partners or ways to reminisce with loved ones.
Gifts for yourself!
Don't forget to put yourself on your gift-giving list. The library offers plenty of ways for you to treat yourself!
- Join a book or movie club or a writing group.
- Learn a new language with Rosette Stone Library Solution.
- Get great book, movie or music suggestions.
Books as Gifts Suggestions
If you're going to buy someone a gift, may we suggest a book!
Great Books to Gift to Kids (or Anyone!)