Arapahoe County continues to grow with an increased percentage of residents over the age of 60, according to the 2020 Census, opens a new window. Having affordable and accessible housing in our communities is important for quality of life, especially to older adults.
To help you navigate housing choices and home modifications, here are some resources to consider that include aging in place, assisted living options, transition between homes, cohousing and public program resources.
Housing Community Resources for Older Adults
- Denver Regional Council of Governments, Area Agency on Aging: Home Repairs, Modifications & Accessibility, opens a new window - Resources here include moving managers to maintenance programs for older adults and their homes.
- Arapahoe County Rent and Mortgage Assistance , opens a new window- This assistance program helps to alleviate short-term financial stress on housing needs, so resources can be focused on other basic and critical needs.
- AssistedLiving.org, opens a new window - An organization with data for over 20,000 assisted living communities serving older adults across the U.S. from the cost of assisted living to directory tools.
- Centennial Lifelong Homes, opens a new window Program, opens a new window - Residents of the city of Centennial can use this Universal Design (UD) guide and assessment tool to consider home renovations and throughout the building process. UD empowers residents to stay in their homes longer with the goal to lead a better quality of life.
- Arapahoe County Affordable Housing -, opens a new window The county's resource page for housing from Section 8 to fair housing programs.
- Veteran Directed Home and Community Based Services, opens a new window (VD-HCBS) - The Veteran-Directed Care program helps veterans who are at risk of nursing facility placement continue to live in their homes.
- Volunteers of American - Affordable Senior Housing Programs , opens a new window- Provides housing for seniors who want to live independent lifestyles where they can thrive and age in place.
- Arapahoe County Heat and Energy Assistance, opens a new window - Weatherization Assistance and the Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) assist eligible households with paying a percentage of home heating costs.
- Senior Support Services - A day shelter for 60 and older
Materials in Arapahoe Libraries collection:
A booklist to help navigate housing choices and home modifications to consider as we age. This includes aging in place, assisted living options, transition between homes, cohousing and more.
Would you like assistance?
Arapahoe Libraries has staff here for your individual needs. We have Older Adult Services Librarians and Community Resource Specialists available if you would like to talk to someone about resources and get one-on-one assistance!