Did you miss our January Parenting Strategies program? That’s okay! You can watch Angelica Fox, SafeCare Program Coordinator for the Arapahoe County Early Childhood Council, discuss the top 10 safety hazards in the typical home and how to guard against them.
The top ten include: poison, choking, suffocation, drowning, fire or electrical, falls, sharp objects, firearms, crushing (furniture) and allergens. The good news is that there are easy, practical ways to prevent injuries. For those who qualify, SafeCare, opens a new window will conduct a free home visit and safety assessment.
Additional recommended community resources include:
- The Poison Control Center: Call 1-800-222-1222, download the app (Apple, opens a new window | Android, opens a new window) or get help from their website, opens a new window if you suspect your child has swallowed chemicals, medicine, poisonous plants, venomous animals, batteries, etc.
- Safe Kids Worldwide:, opens a new window A website dedicated to spotting dangerous household conditions and neutralizing them.
- Healthy and Safe Kids: suggested books to help you talk with your children about safety and health.
Interested in more virtual programs? Check out our other videos:
- December Picture Book Party, opens a new window
- Linda Rollert, Parenting Strategies: Talk to Me, Baby!, opens a new window
- Colleen Bredell, Parenting Strategies: Managing Transitions and Stress, opens a new window
- Dr. Laura Jana, Tips for Success: Raising Your Kids in the 21st Century, opens a new window
- Janet Damon, Parenting Strategies: Discussing Race with Young Children, opens a new window
- Jen Kniffen-Turner, Parenting Strategies: Behavior Changes in Young Children, opens a new window