Adult education includes preparation for high-school equivalency exams (HSE), English language acquisition (ELA or sometimes ESL), workforce preparation, financial, healthcare or basic literacy, and other programs for adult learners.
These organizations provide free or low cost adult education services in our community.
The Learning Source
https://www.thelearningsource.org/, opens a new window
- Programs: GED preparation, community ELA, family literacy classes
- Cost: $0
This organization with over 50 years of experience in our community serves about 2000 learners each year across many locations in our state, including Arapahoe County. Read their class descriptions and schedule, opens a new window. The Learning Source also facilitates the Library ELA program at Arapahoe Libraries.
Spring Institute for Intercultural Learning
https://springinstitute.org/adult-education/, opens a new window
- Programs: GED and HiSET preparation, community ELA, ELA for older adults, English for careers in Early Childhood Education (ECE), citizenship preparation, Colorado Welcome Back for Medical Professionals, opens a new window
- Cost: $0
With over 40 years of legacy in our city, Spring Institute is known for its educational programs and immigrant advocacy. This organization serves learners at multiple locations. Check out their 2022-2023 schedule, opens a new window.
Asian Pacific Development Center
https://www.apdc.org/adult-education, opens a new window
1537 Alton Street, Aurora, CO 80010
- Programs: GED, adult basic and secondary education, ESL, citizenship preparation, family literacy
- Cost: $0
APDC opened its doors over 40 years ago when Colorado started welcoming refugees from Vietnam and Southeast Asia. Today, this organization welcomes and supports immigrants and refugees of all backgrounds.
Emily Griffith Technical College
https://www.emilygriffith.edu/programs/, opens a new window
1860 Lincoln Street, 6th Floor, Denver, CO 80203
- Programs: Refugee ESL, career preparation ESL, GED preparation, trade programs (e.g., HVAC, barber, cosmetology, cooking, etc.)
- Cost: Depending on the program and learner characteristics, some programs may be offered at no cost (e.g., refugee ESL), while other programs charge tuition (e.g., trades certificates). Contact Admissions, opens a new window to learn more.
Founded by a local educator Emily Griffith over 100 years ago, this Denver school has always been a local adult education provider. Nowadays, Emily Griffith Technical College connects adults to careers in many industries.
Looking for additional programs? Check out this list of English classes for adults in the Denver Metro Area, opens a new window.
Interested in learning more about adult education in Colorado? Visit the Adult Education Initiatives at the Colorado Department of Education, opens a new window to locate federally and state funded programs and learn more about adult learning.