6 things to bring to survive that cross-country roadtrip with your family:
(and also some great books to listen to)
1. Snacks. You do not want to spend your vacation hangry. Pack Dorritos, Sweedish Fish, and some carrot sticks. And while you're at it, check out the audiobook version of The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvator that you will surely devour.
What it's about: A quirky loner girl who you will want to make your instafriend, peculiar rich boys, magical forests, and a chilling prophecy.
2. Sunscreen. For when you stop at the beach to cool off from the latest "slug-bug" saga. (I really didn't mean to punch him that hard!) While you bathe in the sun, you need a good beach read. Try listening to The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kacie West.
What it's about: A fake gorgeous boyfriend, a real ex boyfriend, and a mean girl who's trying not to be. While you are on a roadtrip a hundred miles away from your real life BFF, the main character, Gina can fill-in.
3. Pokeballs. Because let's be real, you are only going to catch Bellsprout in the middle of nowhere. While you are feeding razz berries to those pesky pocket monsters that keep escaping, listen to Illuminae by Amie Kaufman.
What it's about: Two kids escaping total planet destruction, bloodthirsty aliens, deadly viruses, and a crumbling spaceship in an interstellar war.
4. A map. Because at some point, the grown ups are going to take a wrong turn and there won't be any cell service. Maps come in handy for lots of occasions, especially when you are hunting trolls. Pack a map and also the audiobook version of Trollhunters by Guillermo Del Toro and Daniel Kraus.
What it's about: trolls, monster noises, and a lot of gore.
5. The Force. You will absolutely need to use your jedi mind tricks to stop your little sisters' off-key singing voice. Get inspired by listening to The Force Awakens Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure by Cecil Castellucci and Jason Fry.
What's it about: Basically, Star Wars where Princess Leia kicks butt.
6. Remember it could be worse. You could live in Night Vale.