These are resources that may be helpful when experiencing the difficult emotions that accompany trauma, crisis, anxiety and grief.
If you need to talk to someone, the Disaster Distress Helpline, opens a new window is available 24/7 at 1-800-985-5990. Colorado Crisis Services, opens a new window is also available by phone, text, chat or in person.
You may be wondering what to do when kids ask about the news, opens a new window. Here are several resources for how to best help children:
- Colorado School Safety Resource Center's The Role for Caring Adults after a Community Tragedy, opens a new window
- School Crisis Center's Guidelines for Talking About Tragedies, opens a new window
- The National Association of School Psychologists' Talking to Children About Violence, opens a new window and Brief Facts and Tips for Addressing Grief, opens a new window
- The National Center for Grieving Children & Families' Talking with Children about Tragic Events, opens a new window
Try these books for more help:
- Sesame Street's Support After an Emergency, opens a new window and Here for Each Other, opens a new window videos
Books to read together with kids:
- A guide for teens on Coping After Mass Violence, opens a new window
- A database about Teen Health and Wellness, including mental health resources and a Calm Room
A list of Tragedy and Resilience in Teen Books
A list about Teens and Mental Health
- Find stories of strength and recovery after a disaster from Strength After, opens a new window
- Tips for Survivors: Managing stress, opens a new window after a traumatic event
- It can be hard to know what to say to survivors and those directly impacted by tragedy. What Not to Say guide, opens a new window
For caregivers such as parents and educators, it's important to remember to take time to care for yourself.
Books for caregivers:
School & Mass Shooting Resources
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network's School Shooting Resources, opens a new window
- American Psychological Association's Managing Your Distress in the Aftermath of a Mass Shooting, opens a new window
- A list of local resources, opens a new window on various topics