Mary, an early literacy librarian, has some helpful resources for talking to your children about a touchy subject: race.
Young children notice differences – it's just what they do. They're little scientists, exploring and learning about the world around them and how they fit into it. What do you do if, at some point, your child asks you: "why does that person have brown skin?" Should you ignore the question? Or address it in some other way?
Here are some expert resources to guide you through this important conversation:
- BabyCenter: How To Talk To Your Child About Race
- Teaching Tolerance: It's Never Too Early To Talk About Race
- Parents: Talking About Race, Age-by-Age
- PBS Parents: How To Teach Kids About Race
- Also, here's a list of great picture books to share with young children that show diverse kids just being kids!