(See what I did there?)
If you're heading to the great outdoors, check out these resources first.
- The National Parks Service has a list of free entrance days, opens a new window! If you're going on a weekend not listed, the typical entrance fee is between $3 and $30. And did you know that fourth graders, active duty military personnel and permanently disabled citizens can receive free passes (see the link for details)?
- The National Wildlife Federation is sponsoring a Great American Campout, opens a new window. They have tips and resources for making your trip memorable.
- Is fishing or boating on your list? Head to TakeMeFishing.org, opens a new window to apply for a fishing license in any state and get information on taking your children on a fishing excursion.
- Use Recreation.gov, opens a new window, ReserveAmerica.com, opens a new window or FreeCampsites.net, opens a new window to find the perfect campsite for you.
- Need to know what to take? Try this family camping checklist from Childhood 101, opens a new window.
- Not sure what foods to prepare? KOA Campgrounds offers a variety of recipes, opens a new window to try.
Most important, HAVE FUN! You never know what adventures you'll have while camping.